Live & Work in Luxembourg

Luxembourg is a great country to relocate to, whether it’s the first step of your international career or the last. The beautiful city looks like a fairy-tale village, full of nature and colourful architecture. Read on to find out more about life and business in the city!

Life in Luxembourg

There are lots of expats living in Luxembourg, and newcomers are always welcomed into the diverse city. Residents benefit from free healthcare, a low unemployment rate and a stable economy and government. It is safe, clean and picturesque – well known for its medieval buildings and cliff-top castles.

The culture focuses on food and drink; the city has a variety of Michelin star restaurants and the local food is delicious. The best of Luxembourgish cuisine includes Rieslingspaschtéit (meat and wine pie), Gromperekichelcher (crispy potato fritters), Judd mat Gaardebounen (the country’s national dish, which consists of pork and broad beans), Quetschentaart (plum tart) and Kachkéis (runny cheese).

It also has good access to the rest of Europe, you could easily pop to Paris for the day or spend the weekend in Amsterdam, and there are frequent flights to London and other popular cities.

Business in Luxembourg

There are around 48,000 people employed directly by the Financial Services industry, and another 30,000 indirectly. Only 23% of these employees are of Luxembourg nationality, the remaining 77% is composed of expatriates living in Luxembourg and employees commuting across the border from France, Germany and Belgium, proving Luxembourg is a highly multicultural city.

Employee benefits in Luxembourg are amongst the best in the world. Benefits often include thirteen-month salaries (an extra month’s salary, sometimes even 2, paid in December), company car, luncheon vouchers, minimum of 25 days annual leave on top of 10 public holidays, performance-related bonus and free language courses.

What to see

Visitors can purchase a ‘Luxembourg Card’ which allows free access to over 60 museums and tourist attractions across the country. Passes for individuals cost between €13 – €28 (depending on your choice of 1, 2 or 3 days) and family passes for 2 – 5 people cost between €28 – €68. The passes also come with a free booklet, highlighting the most popular attractions to visit, and offers free travel on public transport. 

Luxembourg is known for its castles and history. The Casemates du Bock is a network of tunnels, built in the 17th century by the Spanish (who at the time controlled Luxembourg).  The underground passages have seen a lot of action, they were used and adapted by Belgian, Italian, French, Dutch, Austrian and Prussian soldiers over the years. The 23km long, 40m deep tunnels once accommodated 50 cannons and 1,200 men, along with horses, bakeries, workshops and more. In WWII, it was used as a bomb shelter and accommodated up to 35,000 people! The Casemates attract approximately 100,000 visitors a year, and was added to the list of UNESCO’S world heritage sites in 1994.

Another popular attraction is the National Museum of History and Art. It displays collections of Gallo-Roman art, armour, coins, medieval sculptures and contemporary art. The museum also features a 25,000-volume library and various workshops for all the family, including jewellery-making, light-inspired art and history made fun!


February/ March – Luxembourg City Film Festival – A showcase of movies, short films and documentaries made in Luxembourg, shown in six different theatres in the city. Other than watching the films, visitors also have the chance of meeting the actors and crew involved in making them, and there are other related workshops and events to enjoy.

April – Duck Race – A charity event which involves 10,000 yellow ducks racing along the Petrusse river.

June – Fete de la Musique – A music festival that includes a variety of genres, such as folk, rap, reggae, rock, pop and world music. Entrance is free, and performers play on different stages around the city.

June-September – Summer in the City – A summer festival consisting of a variety of fun events, such as an open-air cinema, exhibitions, markets, a street art festival called ‘Streeta(rt)nimation’ and much more!

August – E-Lake Festival – An open-air party – for free! 10,000 people attend the three-day event which showcases live concerts and DJ sets with foreign and local talent.

Leave a Reply

Show Share Buttons
Hide Share Buttons

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

Thank you! You have successfully subscribed!